Thursday, May 7, 2015

Throwback Thursday

Welcome to my new blog!!

I decided to start off with a picture of my paternal great-grandparents and myself taken in 1989. This photo was taken just after my 4th Birthday. That year Grandpa Edgar Koger and Grandma Ina Leah Corder Koger held my birthday party at their home.

Grandma Ina made a beautiful cake for me that year. Grandma was a babysitter, quilter, cake decorator, gardener, and avid watcher of Wheel-of-Fortune and Jeopardy.  I had sleep-overs at her house frequently growing up. My fondest memory was sitting in one of her closets for hours with a shoebox full of her old diaries, reading to my hearts content. Sadly, I wan't able to rescue these diaries before they were disposed of after her death. I remember she would detail the days weather, who she talked to on the phone or wrote to, if she received any letters, special family events that happened, if one of her grandkids came to visit, and so much more. Grandma passed away exactly 4 weeks after my husband and I got married in 2006. I received one of her beautiful quilts as a wedding present and it will be cherished for the rest of my life. Ina Leah Corder was born on 5 Oct 1909, in Monticello, Wayne, Kentucky. She was the 5th of 11 children born to James Granville Corder and Arbanna Bell.  She lived in Kentucky, Indiana, and Ohio during her lifetime. Her and her husband moved to Hamilton, Butler, Ohio, in the 1950's and lived there until her death on 7 Sep 2006. She suffered from Dementia for more than 10 years before her death at the age of 96.

Grandpa Edgar died just a couple years after this photo was taken so I didn't get to know him much sadly. I do remember him being very quiet.  A funny oddity about him is that he did not like stringy melted cheese. Edgar Koger was born on 14 Oct 1904, in Bell Hill, Wayne, Kentucky. He was the 4th of 6 children born to Calvin Corder Koger and Predence Coffey. He died on 18 Oct 1991 at his home in Hamilton, Butler County, Ohio.

Both of these grandparents were instrumental in their community and well loved. Grandma made many baby blankets for most of the children born into her church, Bible Way Missionary Baptist Church, in Hamilton, Ohio.

Hope you enjoyed meeting my GREAT-Grandparents, Edgar and Ina.


No comments:

Post a Comment